Reasons To Have Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy?
Chiropractic care during pregnancy is recommended to aid in the musculoskeletal discomfort as pregnant bodies undergo numerous changes.
. Pregnancy is a time when postural and hormonal changes occur in preparation for the birth process.
. These changes may results in spinal fixations and muscular tightness causing discomfort.
Chiropractic care during pregnancy may assist pelvic alignment, which may limit the room for your baby to grow comfortably . This restriction is called intrauterine constraint and can make it difficult for your baby to get into a good position for birth.
A Baby who is not in a good position may result in a more difficult labour and a more traumatic birth for both mum and baby.
Is It Common To Experience Back Pain During Pregnancy?
Chiropractic care during pregnancy is important as it has been reported that approximately 50% of all pregnant women experience back pain during their pregnancy. Chiropractic care for back pain during pregnancy has shown to be both safe and effective. In one study 75% of pregnant women found relief from pain following chiropractic care. (1)
. Chiropractic care could have a preventative effect against future pelvic floor dysfunction and urinary incontinence . (2)
. Some studies have commented that having regular chiropractic care during pregnancy may shorten labour time (3-4).
6 Reasons Why Misalignments May Occur During Pregnancy?
1. Normal, healthy weight gain may lead to an increase in the low back curve.
2. The mid back area is often strained due to the rib cage flattening, the increase in breast size, breathing rate and depth.
3. Postural changes due to hormones and weight gain strain the neck.
4. Hormonal changes soften the supporting structures of joints, also causing pain due to the tension on the ligaments in the hips and pelvis.
5. Previous physical accidents that have been left uncorrected may alter the biomechanics of the pelvis.
6. Having weak pelvic floor muscles as a result of multiple births.
Why Mum’s Should Have A Chiropractic Checkup After Birth?
. Realigning the pelvis may prevent a misaligned pelvis for carrying the next baby, future back pain and help the pelvic floor muscles.
. The body has several post birth Postural changes as the baby is no longer in the womb and the breasts become engorged with milk.
. Breast feeding and nursing your baby may result in forward shoulder posture and upper back pain.
- Diakow P.R.P., Gadsby T.A., Gadsby J.B., Gleddie J.G., Leprich D.J., Scales A.M Back pain during pregnancy and labor. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1991;14(2):116-118
- Pelvic floor functional changes with spinal manipulation in pregnant and non-pregnant women: A pilot study. JMPT 2016
- J.M. Fallon. Textbook on chiropractic & pregnancy. Arlington, VA: International Chiropractic Association; 1994: 52, 109.
- Fallon J.M. Chiropractic and pregnancy: a partnership for the future. ICA Int Rev Chiropr. 1990;46(6): 39-4